getting started

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
mattlosquadro

getting started

Post by mattlosquadro » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Myself and my coworker are trying to use redpitayas for a few different test applications but we're encountering problems just trying to get started with the device.

We had two rp's with the old image on them which we couldn't even get to the webpage with so we put the new image onto them which solved that but now we're unble to get to features that are key to out designs. We are unable to get command line functions to run since the interface is different than the dicumentation shows it's supopsed to be and we can't setup a static IP on the device either.

For the command line problem, my understanding is that we're supposed to see "redpitaya>" in the puTTy terminal and we can use commands after running the "systemctl start redpitaya_scpi" line.
We get "root@rp-(deviceID):~#" and then python is unable to find the redpitaya_scpi library to even run the example codes.

Thanks if you can help,
Matt

nigel

Re: getting started

Post by nigel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:28 am

I had to use the Redpitaya's IP address directly, discovered using IPScanner on a Windows PC. The rp-xxxxxx.local/ never worked for me. Once there I could control the Redpitaya using the web interface and also use putty on the IP address directly to run things from the command line ie at linux level. I see root@rp-xxxxxx when i use the direct, local to my network IP address. ie 192.168.1.142 That is normal.

Looking further the the device trees and files are different in 0.96

Try using "systemctl start redpitaya_scpi &"

Its a service not a library.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 pm

The rp-xxxxxx.local/ never worked for me.
In order for that to work, one computer in your network must be hosting Apple's Bonjour service.
For the command line problem, my understanding is that we're supposed to see "redpitaya>" in the puTTy terminal
The commandline prompt was changed to a more conventional format during the move to a full linux distro.
[...] and we can use commands after running the "systemctl start redpitaya_scpi" line.
"systemctl start redpitaya_scpi" only starts the service, which then listens on port 5000 for commands. If you want to control it over the shell, you will have to connect the shell to it with "nc -k -C localhost 5000". Then you can issue scpi instructions directly and see the feedback. To terminate the connection use Ctrl+C.
then python is unable to find the redpitaya_scpi library to even run the example codes.
The redpitaya_scpi.py library is not preloaded on the RP OS. Clone the RedPitaya repository to your RP, you will find the library in RedPitaya/Examples/python . I guess it has to be in the same folder as the code you want to run.

mattlosquadro

Post by mattlosquadro » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie