New Red Pitaya price and suitability

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
tony1tf

New Red Pitaya price and suitability

Post by tony1tf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:14 pm

I have happily used my old Red Pitaya for some years now, but I just had notification from you that the New Red Pitaya aimed at the SDR community is €499 at a discounted price! I think the manufacturers should be careful with this very high price. There are already transceiver SDRs which cover a much greater frequency range than RP using custom RF chips.
An example is the LimeSDR mini for $159. They have just introduced the LimeNET Micro which has a built in Raspberry Pi compute module for $299. With a frequency range from 100kHz to 3.8GHz, the Micro can run stand-alone just like the RP. I love the RP, and some very clever code has been written for this very flexible unit - especially the WSPR standalone Tx/Rx, but it is getting left behind with these latest units.
I am just about to use my LimeSDR mini for uplink to the Es'Hail2 satellite on 2.4GHz. In order to do that with the RP, I would need to build an up-converter. I am receiving the 10.5GHz signal from Es'Hail with an LNB and AirSpy SDR or the same LimeSDR at 750MHz - again - would need a down-converter with the RP.

Tony

pavel

Re: New Red Pitaya price and suitability

Post by pavel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the information about LimeNET Micro. I stopped following the LimeSDR project and wasn't aware about this new development.

I've just checked the characteristics of the LimeNET Micro board and I'd say that it can't be directly compared to the new Red Pitaya SDR board. The two boards are apparently designed for different applications and have quite different parameters.

I'd say that the 5 times more FPGA resources, and a better performing ADC could justify the price difference for the applications that require these features.
With a frequency range from 100kHz to 3.8GHz, the Micro can run stand-alone just like the RP.
The crowdsupply page states that the frequency range of the LimeNET Micro board is from 10 MHz.
I am receiving the 10.5GHz signal from Es'Hail with an LNB and AirSpy SDR or the same LimeSDR at 750MHz - again - would need a down-converter with the RP.
The new Red Pitaya SDR board doesn't have the on-board low-pass filters. So, it can be used for the receiving in upper Nyquist zones without a down-converter.

Best regards,

Pavel
Last edited by pavel on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xynium

Re: New Red Pitaya price and suitability

Post by xynium » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi,
That's it I received the mail, sure i will buy one.
There nothing to compare on the market, here the ADC is 16 bits, the Zynq 7020 allow (probably) to have 8 receivers, plus decoding for digital mode, plus audio for analog modes.

73 FM4PN JP

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie