Coherent measurement between multiple units using external clock

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
Leonelf

Coherent measurement between multiple units using external clock

Post by Leonelf » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Hello.
I want to use the two redpitaya to coherently measure a channel where both boards will be separated by a big distance, the channel being between them. To get proper results, both boards will need a coherent reference clock (we have a working, coherent, distribution system for that) which is why I'm considering the SIGNALlab as it has the option for an external reference clock as the SATA-synchronization interface can't be used because of the large distance between the units.
Synchronization of the measurements is not 100% necessary, but with a similar measurement system, we're using hardware timestamps to have an accurate representation of the relative time delay between both units. This leads me to multiple questions:

A: Does the redpitaya firmware have a builtin timestamp for measurements or would that have to be implemented in the FPGA image?
B: How is the external clock used with the SIGNALlab? I couldn't find anything regarding this in the documentation; Many links I've found using Google were deeplinks leading to 404 Errors as the readthedocs seems to have been refactored some while ago...
C: Does the SDRlab (as an alternative) need exactly 122.88MHz reference or can any clock be used?
D: The Shop lists an impedance transformer. What would the advantage of this be as opposed to a 50Ohm passthrough terminator, are there any existing reference measurements highlighting advantages of one over the other?

Kind regards
Leon

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie