Is AXI DMA + TCP/UDP the best way to perform fast, continuous acquisition?

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
tomgwasira

Is AXI DMA + TCP/UDP the best way to perform fast, continuous acquisition?

Post by tomgwasira » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:24 pm

I am a RedPitaya newbie and am currently working on a project to acquire some sampled radar data for storage. I would like to be able to do this as quickly as possible and have been reading threads such as the one on ddrdump, ones that mention the oscilloscope etc.

The discussions do not seem to give me some conclusive advice on how to proceed; several people seem to be reporting distortion when using ddrdump remote_acquire.

So my question is, if I want to continuously record data and save it (perhaps in a host PC's storage, or even onboard storage such as the MMC if that can be fast enough) at as close to real time as possible, how should I proceed? Is, using AXI DMA and then transmitting the data in the buffers over TCP/UDP the best solution?

Thanks in advance.

pavel

Re: Is AXI DMA + TCP/UDP the best way to perform fast, continuous acquisition?

Post by pavel » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:08 pm

Yes, you are right, the combination of DMA and TCP/IP seems to be the fastest solution for continuous data acquisition.

I have a couple of applications that continuously transfer data from Red Pitaya to PC using TCP/IP over Ethernet at approximately 80 MB/s.

Here are the links to the code of these applications:

https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... s/adc_test
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... ide_122_88

They were already in use by a few people and I think one of these applications could be adapted relatively easily to the requirements of your project.

tomgwasira

Re: Is AXI DMA + TCP/UDP the best way to perform fast, continuous acquisition?

Post by tomgwasira » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:12 pm

This is incredible! Thank you so much.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie