how to run pre-built applications on the red pitaya

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
tt10977

how to run pre-built applications on the red pitaya

Post by tt10977 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:30 am

Hi guys,
unfortunately, I don’t really understand, how to make use of the pre-built applications which can be found at:
http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine/

The description says: “Copy the contents of the SD card image zip file to a micro SD card.“ But I think simply copying the contents to the SD-card would not enable the red pitaya to run.
As far as I understand it, I additionally need to setup the SD-card with the procedure described on the website of red pitaya first. With that the problem occurs that the storage of the Sd-card is split into two partitions and the partition containing the files doesn’t have enough storage for the additional files of the pre-built applications.
I would be very grateful if someone could give me a hint what I additionally need to consider.
Thanks!

pavel

Re: how to run pre-built applications on the red pitaya

Post by pavel » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:18 pm

The linked instructions are correct. No special procedure is required.

Usually I recommend using a freshly unpacked factory formatted (single partition, FAT32 file system) micro SD card.

If the micro SD card was previously partitioned and formatted for some other purposes, I use the following commands to format it:

Code: Select all

parted -s /dev/mmcblk0 mklabel msdos
parted -s /dev/mmcblk0 mkpart primary fat32 4MiB 100%
mkfs.vfat -v /dev/mmcblk0p1
where /dev/mmcblk0 is the name of the device corresponding to the micro SD card.

I think it should be also possible to find an empty SD card image with a single FAT32 partition and write this image instead of using partitioning and formatting commands. For example, here is a link to a repository with several empty SD card images:

https://github.com/procount/fat32images

tt10977

Post by tt10977 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Thank you very much for your input.

I already tried to manage my problem with the hint you gave my. Unfortunately I'm still not able to run one of the pre-built applications. At least this time the red pitaya started doing something. (As the description says, I copied the start.sh of the application to the topmost folder.) Beside the green led also the blue one turned on after a while. The red one didn't do anything. As with the normal OS of the red pitaya, I guess the red led is supposed to blink?

As a result I haven't been able to enter access with "ssh root@<ip-address> or to built a connection with the client (.py file).

Is there a possibility that something is wrong with any configurations?

Thanks for helping.

pavel

Post by pavel » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:47 pm

I was asked to turn off flashing LEDs in my applications to reduce noise. So it is OK that there are no flashing LEDs.

I think it would be easier to solve this problem one step at a time. As a first step, I would suggest booting the system without starting any applications.

Please check the boot process using USB/serial console:
https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... nsole.html

tt10977

Post by tt10977 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks for your quick reply!

Ok, thank you for the information that I don't have to worry about the red LED.

I already tried to boot the image without starting any application. As suggested, I checked the booting process via serial console. Is the following a reasonabel result?

Code: Select all

^R▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒~▒▒S[▒▒▒▒▒▒bgw[▒▒▒_cVg▒fS▒gF▒g▒▒g▒▒gZ▒▒R▒ˮ▒Vj▒Rf▒▒s▒o▒GN▒▒F▒Rf▒▒kg▒nkf▒▒▒f▒C▒Kg▒gf~FKo▒kS▒g▒Co▒▒▒K▒▒▒▒▒_Nfw▒W▒r▒w▒gg▒n▒sZ▒os▒kcZG▒BVWo▒cvoKv▒bfwg▒fovg▒g▒g▒c▒▒cw▒▒▒rGKg▒▒▒wRk▒▒Rk▒gcgc▒▒no▒▒kkkB{w▒▒{▒wsgc▒G▒^gVsGg▒▒o▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ғc[s{wnCokR▒▒▒ofr▒woOooo▒O▒{▒▒VN▒jjgV+kbVWg▒w▒o▒▒gw▒▒o▒w▒w▒g▒gbbw▒SR▒▒▒o▒SR▒▒▒▒wwg▒wg▒w▒▒▒g▒▒▒▒k▒▒gw▒g▒▒c▒ow_▒k▒Z▒▒b▒▒▒▒▒^▒ccZG▒cb▒b▒▒▒b▒▒w_w▒swswsw▒s▒▒▒▒▒{▒▒▒▒{{▒˝▒g▒▒g▒R▒▒wcwS▒CSN▒g[os▒▒▒▒▒▒k▒▒▒CSgo▒c▒w▒wg▒▒▒▒▒▒{c{▒o[{▒▒▒▒▒w▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Wcg▒▒▒▒▒_g▒▒▒g▒▒cg▒g▒▒w▒▒▒G▒▒VN▒wg▒▒▒gWW▒w▒▒kkgkw▒c▒w▒▒ok▒▒▒▒▒c▒▒▒OW▒c▒▒▒S▒K▒▒SS▒f▒▒▒▒▒c▒▒▒fc▒▒BBBB▒▒▒▒g▒▒g▒▒▒▒BBBB▒▒FBBBB▒BBBBg▒ZBBBB▒▒BBBBBB▒▒▒FBBBB▒BBBB▒▒BBBB▒BBBB▒BBBB▒BBB▒BBB▒C▒FBBBB▒▒~BBBB▒BBBB▒▒~BBBB▒▒▒BBBB▒▒~BBBB▒▒FBBBB▒▒▒BBB▒▒FBBBB▒▒FBBB▒▒^BBBB▒g▒▒BBB▒▒▒FBB▒▒▒BBBB▒▒ZBBBB▒▒NBBBB▒▒▒BBB▒BBBB▒▒BBB▒▒▒BBB▒▒BBB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒BB▒▒ڐBBB▒▒▒▒BBB▒▒BBB▒▒^▒BBB▒▒▒▒BBB▒▒BBB▒▒▒▒BBB▒▒BBB▒BB▒BBB▒BBB▒BBB▒▒▒BBB▒F▒BBB▒▒▒BBB▒Z▒BBB▒▒▒BBB▒BBB▒▒▒BBB▒^▒BBB▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒Z▒BB▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒BBB▒B▒BB▒▒BBB▒N▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒^▒BB▒▒▒BB▒▒^▒BBR▒▒▒BB▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒B▒▒B▒BB▒▒F▒BB▒▒F▒BB▒▒F▒BB▒_▒BB▒▒BB▒_▒F▒BBv▒^▒BBv▒^▒BBv▒▒▒BB▒▒B▒▒▒▒BBv▒▒▒BB▒w▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒▒▒BB▒▒BBR▒▒▒BB▒▒BBR▒▒▒BB▒▒BB▒▒BB▒BB▒BB▒▒▒BB▒▒▒B▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒BB▒^▒B▒▒^▒BB▒▒▒BB▒▒▒BB▒▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒▒B▒▒^▒B▒▒B▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒B▒▒▒B▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^▒▒▒▒▒▒▒R▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒v▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒v▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒F▒F▒g▒_Fgg▒jo▒▒▒▒▒▒o▒o▒▒f▒▒▒▒Ow▒CRf▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒f▒▒▒▒▒~▒ok▒▒f▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ז▒▒▒nK▒▒~jj▒▒▒▒▒▒w▒~▒▒▒K▒f▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒c▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒J▒on
(I actually don't think that this is how it's supposed to look like. The booting log was observed via puTTY but I also tried to access it with minicom with a virtual machine, which failed.

I also tried to find out wihich encoding might be the right solution that leads to a more reasonable boot message.)

This time (without starting any application) the blue LED did not turn on. Furthermore, it was again not possible to access the red pitaya via cmd "ssh root@<ip-address>"

Thanks for your help!

tt10977

Post by tt10977 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:58 am

Thanks for your quick reply!

I finally was able to boot the image on the SD-Card with a virtual machine (Linux). As suggested I checked the booting process with minicom. The booting messanges seemed normal to me. Even logging in with username: root and password: changeme was possible this time.
Unfortunately I encountered the problem of not beeing able to access the red pitaya with its ip from the client programm (or even from another terminal in the VM) again.

One additional information which might be interesting is that when starting an application (after booting and logging in) the message "ip: can't find device mvl0" showed up.

Are there any ideas what might have gone wrong there?

Thanks for your help!

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:45 am

OK. Thank you for the tests. I think the problem with booting the OS is solved now. So the next step is to fix the network connection problem.

I suggest trying the following:
  • login via USB/serial console
  • check board's IP address using 'ip a' or 'ifconfig' commands
  • try to connect to the web interface using the board's IP address

tt10977

Post by tt10977 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:16 am

When running ifconfig in a general terminal and in the terminal with minicom, I get the following results: https://abload.de/img/terminalzjjzl.png

Looking at the documentation (http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine/) I suppose that the ip of the board should be 192.168.1.100 when connectiong via LAN. I don't really understand why this ip is then found as a connection in the terminal with minicom.

Unfortunately connecting to the web interface is not possible with the boards ip.

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:42 am

So, the board's IP address is 192.168.1.100.

Please provide more details about your network configuration. How is the Red Pitaya board is connected to your network? How is the computer running the web browser or client program is connected to your network? Is there a router or DHCP server in your network? What is the IP address of the host computer that runs the VMs?

If there is a DHCP server in your network, the easiest way would be to use it to assign IP addresses to both the Red Pitaya board and the computer running the web browser or client program.

If there is no DHCP server in your network, the board's IP address defaults to 192.168.1.100. In this case, the Ethernet interface of your computer should be configured to have an IP address in the same 192.168.1.x sub-network. For example, 192.168.1.111. There are many instructions on how to set a static IP address in Windows. Here is one of them:
https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-s ... in-Windows

tt10977

Post by tt10977 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:00 pm

Thanks for your help. I finally figured it out and everything is working perfectly fine.
I made a mistake at the Ethernet configurations on Windows. Therefore, the red pitaya was not accessible from the VM.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie