Redpitaya cannot connect through ethernet switch

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
lufter

Redpitaya cannot connect through ethernet switch

Post by lufter » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:29 pm

Hi all,
I have a problem connecting my STEMlab 125-14 through ethernet switch. And actually we were able to talk the redpitaya a few month ago using that switch. But only recently it is no longer working.
I can surly access it while plugging it directly to the ethernet adapter on my PC and the router. But when I want to connect through the ethernet switch there is no connection at all. Our switch is also working properly since we can talk to other devices using that same switch.

I am wondering if anybody got the same issue before.

Best,
Lufter

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: Redpitaya cannot connect through ethernet switch

Post by redpitaya » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:31 pm

Hello Lufter,
Have you tried changing the ethernet cable and port on the ethernet switch? That might help remove the connection problems (bad ethernet cables can cause issues, the same goes for burnt ethernet ports). Especially, if the device works as intended when plugged into a router AND through the direct connection.

lufter

Post by lufter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 am

Hello Redpitaya,
Yes, I did try plugging into different ports on switch, different switches, and cables. Is there other connection methods that is available? Do I have to assign a specific IP to the switch, ethernet adapter or the redpitaya?

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:56 pm

That should not be the case. The .local address should translate into Red Pitaya's IP in the background. Check whether you see the board's MAC address in the ARP table ("arp -a" command in the terminal/CMD)

It is possible this is a software issue. Please try installing the latest beta OS (2.00-35) and see if the problem is fixed. Alternatively, reinstall the current Red Pitaya OS to the board. Please note that this will erase all data on the Red Pitaya, so you should back projects from the board if possible.
https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... Dcard.html

chris@ner.com

Post by chris@ner.com » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

I believe that I observe some sort of race condition when both the RP and the switch are powered up simultaneously.

LAN <-> Net Card #1 - Computer - Net Card #2 <-> Switch <-> Red Pitaya

Net Card #1 -> Office LAN
Net Card #2 -> 192.168.0.x
Red Pitaya configured with an IP4 fixed address of 192.168.0.91

If I abuse the Red Pitaya with poorly written custom code (one of my current hobbies), and it crashes, I often lose network connectivity as well.

Powering off the Red Pitaya, then power cycling the switch, then powering up the Red Pitaya usually brings things back up fine.

I deal with many different, and often custom, network widgets. The Red Pitaya seems to be easily upset. I'd consider its network support to be on the fragile side. This does give me pause about the roles I'm hoping it will play in some of our products.

However, this is not the first time I've encountered such issues.
See:
https://superuser.com/questions/1527294 ... tch-issues

Good Luck!

chris@ner.com

Post by chris@ner.com » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm

Some more notes to compare with your situation:

With a new Red Pitaya (aka RP) the latest SD Card image flashed with balenaEtcher, and the same network setup:

(Office Lan, with DHCP) -Computer- (Local LAN with local DHCP server),

I could not get the RP to request network settings via DHCP. It would not work (and I can monitor DHCP requests on our entire network). No DHCP server on our network ever detected a new presence/connection of the RP, no matter where it was physically connected.

The only configuration that I could get it to make an initial connection was to connect the RP to our Office LAN, and use a Windows computer (with FireFox) to connect to the rp_xxxxxx.local address.

All attempts to use DHCP failed.

Once I had a browser connection to rp_.local, and a fixed IP entered and saved on the RP. Things seem to work adequately with the intended configuration on 192.168.0.91 (configured via the RP browser gui).

##############################################################################
# Red Pitaya GNU/Linux Ecosystem
# Version: 2.00-aff683518
# Build: 35
# Branch:
# Commit: aff683518f5e62e9eb01c944949f9c3b7da1ec0f
# U-Boot: "redpitaya-v2022.1"
# Linux Kernel: "branch-redpitaya-v2024.1"
# Pro Applications: ""
##############################################################################

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:09 pm

Thank you for investigating this, we really appreciate it.

We also noticed that the boards do not show up in the ARP tables in the latest two OS updates until you connect to the Red Pitaya via the .local address, but they are "pingable" even when not visible. I have passed all the information to the developers and they will take a look when they are back from the holiday (next week). The problems are not present in 2.00-23 OS. It seems like there is an issue with the DHCP not going through.

I will update you on the situation.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie