is RP for me?

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
melko

is RP for me?

Post by melko » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 am

I have a project to work on and I stumbled upon red pitaya, that seems to fit my needs, let me quickly explain what I have to achieve:

after a start signal that determine the init of the acquisition, I have a non-periodic (but let say with an average frequency of 1MHz) signal on which I have to acquire an analog signal with the ADC and store the result together with a time signature on the SD (or send it through ethernet or whatever..). This will least for about one hour, when then a stop signal rises.

The task is conceptually simple and RP seems perfect for it, but you know the devil hides behind details.
What I was thinking is to program the FPGA to start measuring time when the start signal rises, and when there's a trigger event, store the adc counts and the time measurement together in a dual clock FIFO, then CPU side read that data and store it on the SD or send it through eth (I could save it on a file through netfs, or use a UDP socket).

What do you think about it, is this feasible?

Crt Valentincic

Re: is RP for me?

Post by Crt Valentincic » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 am

Red Pitaya sure is the right solution. You could modify current FPGA acquisition module in order to start/stop
continuous acquisition on external trigger. A simple c program could be than used to detect that acquisition
has started and begin reading acquired data out of the circular buffer, storing it to SD card.
Depending on your timing/synchronization requirements there are also other possibilities to do this same thing
even without modifying FPGA logic. Simple continuous acquisition example
was discussed here.

melko

Post by melko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the reply, seems I'll have to start persuading the project chief on buying one :)

Another question:
has the FPGA access to a clock, and if so what is the frequency?
Looking in the overview sheets of the zynq 7010 seems it doesn't say if the programmable logic part has access to a clock. I saw there's one on the board for the ADC, maybe it can be used for the FPGA too?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:25 pm

The FPGA fabric has access to quite a few clocks:
- 4 clocks (50, 125, 200, 250MHz) generated by the processor's PLL
- the external ADC clock
- DAC and daisy chain clocks generated by one of the two FPGA PLLs
- up to 4 additional clocks that you can generate and distribute to your heart's content with the remaining FPGA PLL and global clock buffers
- don't know if I missed anything

melko

Post by melko » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:35 pm

That's great, I guess 200MHz is more than enough for my needs!

About the sd, can be used a filesystem different from fat32 (e.g. ext3/4 or ntfs)? Also can it boot if the sd has more than one partition?

Scrolling through the Z7010's datasheet I see there's a 256KB on-chip SRAM accessible from both PS and PL, I wonder if it's fully available, it could be good for an improvement of the oscilloscope buffers' capabilities.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie