Can RP record a 20khz digital signal and then play it back?

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
blipton

Can RP record a 20khz digital signal and then play it back?

Post by blipton » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:33 am

I understand the red pitaya is geared for hobbyists and students to develop their own custom solutions, but I'm hoping to find a product that will work out of the box that can solve my immediate need. (I actually stumbled across this site as I was searching for a digital AWG!)

Anyways, does red pitaya support 1-2 seconds recording of a low freq signal (3.3V, 0-20khz), to then later output it back (3.3V)? Or does such functionality need to be custom implemented ?

I don't know FPGA or matlab, so for me trying to develop the application using the RP platform would be a big project in and of itself!

Crt Valentincic

Re: Can RP record a 20khz digital signal and then play it ba

Post by Crt Valentincic » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm

This feature is very easy to implement (no need to dig into FPGA) and I can provide you the instructions about how to do it, but you will have to define how would you like to start the recording and playback.

Nick Avlonitis

Post by Nick Avlonitis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 pm

What would be the maximum bandwidth of a signal that Red Pitaya can sample? For example, can the Red Pitaya sample and playback a digital signal of 10 MHz or 100 MHz?

Is it possible to playback a recorded time series object from MATLAB using the Red Pitaya DAC? What would be the maximum playback frequency in that case?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

If you do not modify the original Red Pitaya FPGA design, the maximum bandwitdth for sampling and playback is limited by the speed with which you can move samples out of / into the ADC / DAC buffers. This limit lies in the single-digit MHz range.

With a modified ecosystem, you can record and playback at the max sample rate of 125MSps, provided you use the DDR RAM as sample storage, and are thus limited in recording time to what fits into the system RAM.
As far as I know though, there is not yet a working solution for the playback part.

If you want to use external storage (thumbdrives, network shares, or as you suggest, a stream from MatLab), you will be limited in bandwidth by the connection to this storage medium.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie