Basic project with Vivado 2014.3 and Ubuntu 14.04

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: Basic project with Vivado 2014.3 and Ubuntu 14.04

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I'm looking into if I can work around the need for Linux VM when I don't need to recompile the kernel, i.e. when changes are limited to PL side and server app code.

If the following command works with your cygwin environment then you indeed don't need Linux VM:

Code: Select all

make NAME=led_blinker tmp/led_blinker.bit
Do I get it right that while led_blinker project targets Ubuntu, the sdr ones are designed for original Red Pitaya kernel?
Various combinations are possible. The boot.bin, devicetree.dtb and uImage files generated by my scripts can be used with the Ubuntu SD card image and with the original Red Pitaya SD card. It's even possible to write both systems to the same SD card and select the one to boot via the uEnv.txt file.

The main advantage of the Ubuntu and Debian based systems is the access to their repository of pre-built packages.

The main advantage of the BusyBox based system (original Red Pitaya SD card) is its low disk and memory usage. It could be attractive for projects that require as much memory as possible.

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Thanks for clarification!
The main advantage of the BusyBox based system (original Red Pitaya SD card) is its low disk and memory usage. It could be attractive for projects that require as much memory as possible.
I should figure out how to get your hardware projects going under Red Pitaya OS flavor than, since I would like to free up and much memory as I can for RF waveform buffering.
The boot.bin, devicetree.dtb and uImage files generated by my scripts can be used with the Ubuntu SD card image and with the original Red Pitaya SD card.
Are there any simple instructions on how to create SD card with Red Pitaya OS and the above modifications? Or should I just bite the bullet and study all these intricacies of Linux and Zynq ecosystems first?

Also, what types of IP integrator board design changes would necessitate recompile or re-imaging of boot SD, such as adding extra HP streaming ports and relevant memory allocations?

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 pm

I just got your ecosystem-0.92-65-35575ed-sdr-receiver.zip, and was able to reprogram the PL with logic modified in Windows GUI by cat *.bit > /dev/xdevcfg Is that acceptable approach?

I'm still wondering what's the limits of PL redesign for a given boot SD before it needs to be recompiled with new hardware definition?

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:14 pm

I've just realized that my previous comment about BusyBox memory usage was not exact. On the original Red Pitaya SD card, the BusyBox system is stored on a ramdisk that should be added to the total memory usage. So it's possible that BusyBox and Ubuntu based systems consume similar amount of RAM.
I just got your ecosystem-0.92-65-35575ed-sdr-receiver.zip, and was able to reprogram the PL with logic modified in Windows GUI by cat *.bit > /dev/xdevcfg Is that acceptable approach?
Yes, it's exactly the idea. If you look at /opt/etc/init.d/rcS then you'll see the same command that loads the SDR receiver bitstream.
I'm still wondering what's the limits of PL redesign for a given boot SD before it needs to be recompiled with new hardware definition?
I rebuild Linux when I enable new drivers (Wi-Fi, touchscreen, etc).

I rebuild U-Boot when I change the amount of RAM used by Linux.

For example, if you want Linux to use only the first 128 MB of RAM and keep 384 MB for your application, then you can modify the patches and rebuild boot.bin and devicetree.dtb with the following commands:

Code: Select all

for file in `grep -l 1E000000 patches/*` ; do echo $file ; sed -i 's/1E000000/08000000/g' $file ; done
sed -i 's/480/128/g' patches/zynq_red_pitaya.h
rm -rf tmp/u-boot-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.2
rm -rf tmp/red_pitaya_0_92.tree
make NAME=red_pitaya_0_92 boot.bin devicetree.dtb
Then copy boot.bin and devicetree.dtb to the SD card (ecosystem-0.92-65-35575ed-sdr-receiver).

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks for the instructions! RP OS now reports 120MB total available memory.

I noticed that make would not rebuild target.xpr for me after I edit block_design.tcl. I changed the Makefile line to "tmp/%.xpr: projects/%/* $(addprefix tmp/cores/, $(CORES))", if that's alright.

demircik

Post by demircik » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:42 pm

May i know about your hardware details. What hardware you are interfacing with your Linux system and what is your application?
Can you please post your hardware details here?
Also the firmware you shared is full for your project or it needs any modification?
Can you also post the firmware again?

turnkey pcb

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie