please opensource librp.so

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: please opensource librp.so

Post by pavel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi Uwe,

I submitted my long comment before I saw your comment about your version of the library. You actually confirmed that I tried to explain: all the information is here and it's not very difficult to communicate with FPGA.

If you make your library open source before the "next release", the promise made by the Red Pitaya guys will be respected :D

Cheers,

Pavel

Farren

Post by Farren » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:11 pm

The cost of the board is insignificant, I would pay even more for something that I can use .
The waste of time trying to get the librp API to do what it should cost me 10 times more than the board.
I am sure that there is a bug or 3 in the API , If I had the source code I could look deeper into what is being done.
I have a serious use and I wanted to integrate the RP into a product, so would be buying a lot of them if it works out but if I can't get around the current issues it is destined to be put on Ebay for half price , or on my shelf with the other stuff I don't use anymore.
Can you at least consider addressing the possible librp bugs ?

Thanks
Farren

pavel

Post by pavel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Farren,

May be I'm mistaken or too naive, but if I'd need a support for development of a commercial product, I'd contact the Red Pitaya team directly. There is a page titled "Services" on the Red Pitaya web site:
http://redpitaya.com/services/

I didn't try it myself, but I suppose that if they propose it then they really mean it.

Cheers,

Pavel

Farren

Post by Farren » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:07 pm

So basically the board is not for serious use then ?
Is it intended as a learning tool of just for experimenting and fun ?
I don't need special support, all I need is for the librp API to work properly and then I can us the board for something useful. I did not buy it to impress my friends.
What a waste of time !

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:55 am

@Farren
That's kind of unfair what you say. The board itself is well documented and you are able to create your own FPGA code as well as a software working on lowest level with that documentation. So the board is useful for a lot of people.

As I mentioned some posts before I was able to create my own library with a few hours (less then 40 for the basic routines) of work. This library covers the scope functions and the common functions because I only need these functions now.
I considered to put that on github, but the statement that the source code of the "rplib" will be released made me wait for that.

Kind regards
Uwe

Farren

Post by Farren » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Uwe,
I guess that I just got fed up with 4 days of struggling to get the API to work properly.
There is clearly something wrong with the API Acquire functions.
I still think that the hardware is amazing and will work at other options at lower level to get my requirements to work.
Thanks for your fair comment.
Cheers
Farren

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi,

After some delays here it is - The new realese is out and with it the librp.so is
now open.
So APIs and SCPI source code is available.
Check our repository on the GitHub.
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya
Comments and suggestion are welcome - Write here on the Forum or write us directly on Support.

Enjoy, Red Pitaya

PS: There are some bugs on which we are working and they will be solved in following days

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you so much for releasing the source code of the librp.
I am sure it helps a lot of people understanding the internal of that great device.
Kind regards
Uwe

sgraf

Post by sgraf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi,

I really apreciate that the liprp is now availible in source code, thank your very much. I started to use scpi and
having the source code will help me to get it working.
What I'm missing is that the librp is using an open source license, will this be changed in the future?

Best regards,
sepp

Karri Kaksonen

Post by Karri Kaksonen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for the src. We abandoned the API a long time ago and wrote everything directly on top of the hardware. Now I also understand the problems with speed and raw data while using the API. You should really provide a Raw format without doing lots of fancy stuff like offset and calibration calculation for every sample.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie