please opensource librp.so

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
Arnold

please opensource librp.so

Post by Arnold » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Hello,

I have ubuntu (Ubuntu 14.04) installed on the SD card and running into the trouble that i don't have the source of your rp library in order to build librp.so...

librp.so is compiled for ARMv5t (armel) and Ubuntu 14.04 (pavel-demin created a ubuntu image - reference: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=497&start=10) is only available for ARMv6 (armhf).

Here is the location of the Ubuntu releases that I'm using for the SD card image:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/r ... 4/release/

there are two solutions:
- opensource librp.so (which is preferred by other developers as well) or
- build the lib for armhf.

So can you PLEASE opensource the librp.so!?????

Please reply on this comment.

Thanks,
A

plauria

Re: please opensource librp.so

Post by plauria » Wed May 20, 2015 7:15 pm

I second this...for a project that touts open source, there sure is a lot of closed source stuff -I e. This, and the exact hardware design files

sobomax

Post by sobomax » Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 am

+1. We've backed up that project because it promised open-source instrument that you can mod and hack to your heart content, it'd really a shame to see that initial promise to go away gradually without any explanation or excuse. I believe lot of backers might feel the same way. The same goes for fpga sources/schematics. If RP team feels like that's some IP value in there, it should not be going with open-source moniker to start with. IMHO, being half-open-source never really works, it's like being half-pregnant. You won't get much interest from people who don't care about openess of the product and won't build any open-source community around it either. Just my CA$0.02c.

-Max

Karri Kaksonen

Post by Karri Kaksonen » Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 am

Same opinion. The DataV vs DataRaw bug was reported 2nd of March in this same forum. Currently our work-around is wasting too many microseconds doing unneeded conversions. We just have to drop Red Pitaya for now and choose conventional hardware with proper support and better throughput instead. An alternative for good support is to open source the SDK so the users can fix these bugs.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi guys,

The librp.so WILL BE open source in the next realese.

Best, Red Pitaya team.

johnkweber

Post by johnkweber » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:08 am

redpitaya wrote:Hi guys,

The librp.so WILL BE open source in the next realese.

Best, Red Pitaya team.
I would like to know whether this library has been opensourced please. The elektor magazine has also stated this project is opensource and based on the fact that I have seen how opensource works I have recommended Red Pitaya to my friends and colleagues that may never have seen it otherwise and now they tell me it is not truly opensource? Which of these parts of the project are opensource and which are not. That way a user can then decide if they can live with that part of the project being closed or not. However it should be declared then otherwise dont use the Opensource word anywhere, since it sort of goes against the whole idea of opensource.

Farren

Post by Farren » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:37 am

I agree , Is this open source or not ?
I don't want to be able to re produce the board , I prefer to just buy them but would like to have at least the API source and FPGA source fully available to be able to modify to exactly match my requirement instead of having to try to work around what is offered in the API.
To be able to do anything useful wit this hardware I need to be able to see the source for the API.
I hope that I am wrong , if so please point me to the relevant place for the source.
I have a serious use for this board , integrating into one of my products , so I am prepared to sign an NDA if needed.

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Yep .. so here.
Due to the fact that the FPGA code is open source and that the registers and also the headers of the library are documented I have started to create my own library.
Nobody knows about the "next release" date and the existing library is not working properly.
It would be nice to have at least date for the next release.
Kind regards
Uwe

pavel

Post by pavel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi,

Personally, I find some comments on this thread not very fair. In the following I'll try to explain why I think so.

The Red Pitaya team developed a very good board and sells it for a very good price. The source codes for the original FPGA configuration, for all the Red Pitaya specific drivers and for all the building system are open and can be found in their GitHub repository:
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya

The source codes for the basic applications are also open and can be found in the same GitHub repository:
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... plications
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/tree/master/Test

All these codes are open source and make a very good basis to start adapting Red Pitaya for a specific application.

Moreover, Xilinx together with their partners provide many tools that simplify a lot the development of the FPGA configurations:
  • Vivado IP Integrator
  • Vivado High Level Synthesis
  • Xilinx System Generator for DSP
  • MathWorks HDL coder
With these tools, development of a custom FPGA configuration for a specific application becomes almost trivial. Controlling a custom FPGA configuration from a C program is most of the time just writing/reading to/from a specific address and can be done in a couple of lines of C code.

It should be also taken into account that Red Pitaya is so highly customizable that it would be impossible to write an API that would cover all the possible customizations.

So, why care about this API library (open source or not) that covers only a very limited range of possible Red Pitaya applications?

These days, it's not rare that open source projects have Community Edition and Commercial/Enterprise Edition. For example, Red Hat, Qt, MySQL, GitLab, IntelliJ, CFEngine, etc.

So, why Red Pitaya can't do the same?

I'd consider the basic system as an open source Community Edition. However, the API library and the SCPI server are more oriented towards the commercial/enterprise applications and I'd consider them as a part of some kind of Commercial/Enterprise Edition.

Best regards,

Pavel

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm

I think none of the guys nor myself wants to be unfair. You have created a wonderful product consisting of a hardware and a software part.
But it was announced in different media as an Open Source project. And so it is IMHO not unfair to ask for the source code of the "librp" because that could not be found anywhere.
Now it was announced a few month ago that the next release of the "librp" will be Open Source. So I think it is a natural habit for many waiting people to ask for the release date.
Anyway, the RedPitaya is a real gorgeous and versatile tool and I have been very happy you did that job.

One step back: for your information:
I did my first steps with the RedPitaya with the example programs using the "librp". I have decided to use this library because I have all the freedom to program my application as I would need it and like to have it. The example programs worked fine, but then after modifying the examples I found out that the "librp" library seems to be a bit buggy handling the data and the calibration. That was the first reason to ask for the source code.

Kind regards
Uwe

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie