SD card image with Debian 8.0, Red Pitaya web server and SDK

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: SD card image with Debian 8.0, Red Pitaya web server and

Post by pavel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Gregg,

I've just installed Quisk 4.0.3 on my laptop running Windows 7. I copied 'hermes/quisk_conf.py' to the default configuration file as described at this link. Then I edited the file and commented the Linux audio settings and uncommented the Widows audio settings. I also changed rx_udp_clock to 61440000 (not sure if it's needed). Then I started Quisk and it worked. Here is a screenshot:
How is communication initiated?
It's described in
http://svn.tapr.org/repos_sdr_hpsdr/tru ... _V1.33.pdf

Basically, Quisk discovers the board and starts communicating.

Could you check if sdr-transceiver-hpsdr is running on your Red Pitaya?

Best regards,

Pavel

jacob

Post by jacob » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:36 am

Hello Pavel!
Thanks for developing this, I am using your debian image to run python scripts on my RP and it works great.
But recently I discovered that the burst mode seems not to be working properly. It always seems to generate a continuous signal and ignores rp_GenBurstCount and rp_GenMode. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Jacob

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:45 am

Hello Jacob,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with this problem.

I'd suggest to try one of the more recent SD images made by Red Pitaya developers. These images are based on my Debian image and they provide more recent FPGA configuration and C API.

Here is a direct link to the latest stable image:
http://downloads.redpitaya.com/download ... le.img.zip

Best regards,

Pavel

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:24 am

Hi Pavel,

I've being using your help to run this Debian image with reduced RAM footprint on RP.

I would like to try to get PTP to work with Red Pitaya. You have mentioned a PTP Zynq example in another thread, but that example seems to only contain the pre-compiled code. Is it feasible is it to add PTP support to this project of yours? If so, would you be able to stir me in the right direction toward helpful resources?

I'm thinking about synchronizing PL sides of several Red Pitaya boards. My current idea is to implement counters in PL driven by, say, ADC clock, to time stamp events on the PL side. Meanwhile PS would synchronize those counters to its PTP-synchronized clock once in a while. Some discontinuity due PS -> PL synchronization is ok. Is there easier/better way?

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Fedor,

I've once asked the Xilinx developers about the PTP functionality in the new macb driver:
https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/is ... -147363372

The answer was that the macb driver did not support PTP for the ZYNQ devices. Only ZYNQMP.

So, the first step in enabling PTP is to switch to the older emacps driver. If you're using my patches to build the Linux kernel, then the driver and PTP are already enabled on line 75 of the patch:
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... .patch#L75

Switching to the emacps driver can be done via the devicetree configuration. You can find a slightly outdated example at this link. If I'm not mistaken, it should be enough to replace the gem0 related part in system.dts with the following:

Code: Select all

&gem0 {
	compatible = "xlnx,ps7-ethernet-1.00.a";
	clocks = <&clkc 13>, <&clkc 30>;	
	clock-names = "ref_clk", "aper_clk";
	local-mac-address = [00 0a 35 00 00 00];
	phy-mode = "rgmii-id";
	status = "okay";
	xlnx,ptp-enet-clock = <0x69f6bcb>;
	xlnx,has-mdio = <0x1>; 
};
&gem0 {
	phy-handle = <&phy0>;
	mdio {
		#address-cells = <1>;
		#size-cells = <0>;
		phy0: phy@1 {
			compatible = "lantiq,phy11g";
			device_type = "ethernet-phy";
			reg = <1>;
		};
	};
};

pavel

Re: SD card image with Debian 8.4 and Red Pitaya ecosystem

Post by pavel » Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi,

Since my Debian based SD card image starts getting outdated, I decided to update it to the latest version of Debian and Red Pitaya ecosystem. The new version of this image includes the following new features:
  • Linux 4.4.0-xilinx
  • Several additional kernel modules that were requested on this forum (SPIDEV, FUSE, CIFS, SND_USB_AUDIO, USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO, TOUCHSCREEN_USB)
  • Debian 8.4 (armhf)
  • Red Pitaya ecosystem 0.95
  • Some contributed applications (Oscilloscope, Generator & Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyzer)
Since I don't want my Red Pitaya board spying on me, I removed the Red Pitaya discovery and Google analytics scripts. I also removed all the non-free applications.

This SD card image can be downloaded from the following link:

https://googledrive.com/host/0B-t5klOOy ... 160527.zip

The default password for the root account is changeme.

More information about this SD card image can be found at the following link:
http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya ... ecosystem/

Cheers,

Pavel
Last edited by pavel on Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Pavel,

Thanks for the update!

I compiled your new image, it boots alright, but I'm having trouble running programs that are cross-compiled in Windows Eclipse. I get "~bash: *program name* No such file or directory” error. Same binaries run fine on your previous Debian release. Any suggestion what I need to change in the setup?

P.S. I wonder if a different version of Linaro tool chain required for the new Debian image. If it is the case, what is the correct version?

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Pavel,

I figured that my windows development environment was setup along the lines of http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... oper_Guide

I got it to work now with new Debian image after installing latest win32 linaro toolchain and re-configuring Eclipse to use it.

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Pavel,

I regards to hardware time stamping, I was looking into WiFi mac timestamping and it seems that Atheros chipsets provide it. I noticed that you just have added the support for this chipset to your image. Do you think that this mac timestamping can be made use off for more precise sycronisation of clocks between several read pitayas communication over WiFi using the above chipset? Are you , by any chance, working on something similar?

pavel

Post by pavel » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 pm

fbalakirev wrote:I regards to hardware time stamping, I was looking into WiFi mac timestamping and it seems that Atheros chipsets provide it. I noticed that you just have added the support for this chipset to your image. Do you think that this mac timestamping can be made use off for more precise sycronisation of clocks between several read pitayas communication over WiFi using the above chipset? Are you , by any chance, working on something similar?
I didn't know about mac timestamping. I enabled the ath9k_htc driver because I wanted to try a Wi-Fi adapter based on AR9172. You can find some more details in this post. I never did any timestamp based synchronization.
Last edited by pavel on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie