Just about everything about Red Pitaya
raph38130

RedPitaya Tango Control System Gateway

Post by raph38130 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi team,

FYI, we have done a bridge to the Tango Control System for RedPitaya
more info here :
go to latest pages for a specific Redpitaya Device Server
there is a tango virtualbox image for quick tests and redpitaya binary bundle available

this is a proof of concept : accessing a minimal zynq design from the TANGO Distributed Control System
(we enroll in XUP OpenHardware 2015 Contest).

see http://www.tango-controls.org for more info on TANGO

Tango is a free, open source, distributed, scalable, efficient SCADA framework : a set of tools and API to monitor industrial appliance of any kinds...
Tango control system was elaborated at the ESRF, a large synchrotron radiation facility in Grenoble, France. The ESRF is a large research laboratory (1500 engineers, researchers, ), a kind of giant microscope to explore organic molecules or others and that uses X rays of high energy (6 GeV) issued from an 850 meters circumference accelerator in more than 40 beams lines operating simultaneously. More on the ESRF here

Tango Control System is a 100 man/years middleware, which aims at the monitoring 24/7 of more than 200 000 sensors & actuators in the facility. It features among other usage : logging, events driven communication, seamless integration to NI Labview, Matlab, Igor scientific toolboxes or OPC-UA plc, EPICS bus, ...

The SKA Telescope (square kilometre array telescope in southAfrica/Australia) will use TANGO.
But Tango can also fit in a raspberry pi or in a zynq SoC as RP !

thank you for reading
Last edited by raph38130 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oxthorp

Re: RedPitaya Tango Control System Gateway

Post by Oxthorp » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi !

First, this is very interesting, but your first link does not work (maybe my firewall blocks , I'll check later ^^ ) . Next, I am very impressed with what you did with your students. I hope they were happy to work with the Redpitaya . I would have like to work with it in my university.

If I understand correctly, you used the RP to replace Zedboard ? And you had to adjust all code, is not it ?

Kind regards.

raph38130

Re: RedPitaya Tango Control System Gateway

Post by raph38130 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:54 pm

sorry for the typo : the TANGO Control System web site is here (missing final 's') :
http://www.tango-controls.org

we used ZedBoard for the Xilinx University Program contest as it was one of the recommended platform... the ESRF staff lend me a redpitaya later and I would like to give it a try. For this project, those two HDK are quite similar and we can use same binary code.
we dont have a use case for rp for now at the ESRF but it could be used as data logger, ...
feel free if you have any questions regarding Tango

regards,

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie