release 0.94 Wi-Fi not working anymore

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: release 0.94 Wi-Fi not working anymore

Post by pavel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm

evpator wrote:I tried also interfaces with DHCP configuration and DHCP turned on on PC the result is the same.
On your Windows PC, have you tried to enable the "Internet Connection Sharing" functionality that enables the DHCP server?

When I need to connect my Red Pitaya directly to my Windows laptop, I enable the "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Wi-Fi interface of my laptop like for example explained in the following instructions:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... on-sharing

Here is how it looks on my laptop:

This way, Windows shares the Wi-Fi internet connection with the wired Ethernet port and enables DHCP on the wired Ethernet port of my laptop.

evpator

Post by evpator » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Pavel, I tried to your Debian approach. It is based on v0.92 system. Actually the Ethernet connection to my laptopworks fine :) Thanks. But what about WiFi I bought recently TP-Link WN725N usb WIFI, so how to configure it in RedP that it can establish connection with my Internet router by Wifi. Could you please post clear step by step instructions, cause I am not very familiar with Unix/Linux environments...

pavel

Post by pavel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 pm

evpator wrote:I bought recently TP-Link WN725N usb WIFI, so how to configure it in RedP that it can establish connection with my Internet router by Wifi. Could you please post clear step by step instructions
Here are the instructions (the commands should be run from the Red Pitaya command line):
  1. open /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0 in an editor

Code: Select all

nano /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0
  2. replace the contents of this file with the following:

allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

3. save changes and exit the editor: Ctrl+o, Enter, Ctrl+x
  4. create /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

wpa_passphrase YOUR_NETWORK_SSID > /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    type password of your Wi-Fi network then press Enter
  5. reboot Red Pitaya:

reboot

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:56 am

pavel wrote:Hi,

Just a suggestion.

Since the latest Red Pitaya SD card image is based on my Debian based SD card image, I could think of two possible sources of these recent Wi-Fi problems:
  • I missed something when working on the Wi-Fi configuration for my Debian based SD card image
  • Red Pitaya developers missed something when porting my Wi-Fi configuration to the latest Red Pitaya SD card image
For those interested to spend some time debugging this problem I propose the following plan:
  • test Wi-Fi with my Debian based SD card image (some details about this image can be found at this link),
  • post the results (Wi-Fi adapter model, works or not) on this forum thread,
  • if Wi-Fi repeatedly doesn't work with my Debian based SD card image, I'll try to fix it,
  • if Wi-Fi works with my Debian based SD card image, I'll try to compare my Wi-Fi configuration with the latest Red Pitaya Wi-Fi configuration.
So far, I tested my Debian based SD card image with two different Wi-Fi adapters: Both work without any problem.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Pavel
Hi Pavel
Having not been able to get wifi working with OS 0.94, I have downloaded your Debian Jessie based image - great it seems to be talking OK to my Edimax EW-7811Un dongle, and setting up a Red Pitaya network with IP address 192.168.42.1. However, I have a problem - what is the password to access the network? I don't know where to look in the code to find it.

Keep up the great work
Tony

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Pavel again
Aha - more research, and looking at the manual on the wiki - I see the password is the same as the SSID - case is important - "RedPitya". This enables me to communicate with the RP at 192.168.42.1, and magic - all the open source apps are there.
The RP is not connected to anything else presently, so I cannot access anything else when connected to it as an Access Point.
So I have changed back to my home router to write this post.

I am particularly interested in the Spectrum Analyser, but unfortunately that wont run - I get:

Data receiving failed.
Error status: parsererror

Is it also possible to put your experimental SDR s/w on the same SD card, or do I need to use a special SD card just for that?

Tony

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:44 am

A few restarts and we seem to have got over the parse error.
Tony

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:37 pm

tony1tf wrote: Is it also possible to put your experimental SDR s/w on the same SD card, or do I need to use a special SD card just for that?
Hi Tony,

It's possible to install the SDR transceiver on the same SD card. Here is how it can be done (the commands should be run from the Red Pitaya command line):
  • download the FGPA configuration:

wget https://googledrive.com/host/0B-t5klOOymMNfmJ0bFQzTVNXQ3RtWm5SQ2NGTE1hRUlTd3V2emdSNzN6d0pYamNILW83Wmc/SDR/sdr_transceiver.bin
  • download the sdr-transceiver server:

wget https://googledrive.com/host/0B-t5klOOymMNfmJ0bFQzTVNXQ3RtWm5SQ2NGTE1hRUlTd3V2emdSNzN6d0pYamNILW83Wmc/SDR/sdr-transceiver
  • set the executable permissions:

chmod +x sdr-transceiver
  • configure the FPGA and run the server:

cat sdr_transceiver.bin > /dev/xdevcfg
    ./sdr-transceiver 1 &
    ./sdr-transceiver 2 &
Cheers,

Pavel
Last edited by pavel on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi Pavel

Thanks for the links. I had to get RP running on the internet again, so I plugged its ethernet into my router. All downloaded very fast, but it gives me a "Permission denied" error on running either of the transceivers.

root@red-pitaya:~# ./sdr-transceiver 1 &
[1] 1527
root@red-pitaya:~# -bash: ./sdr-transceiver: Permission denied

I am running as root, so what permissions are needed?

cheers
Tony

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

tony1tf wrote: root@red-pitaya:~# ./sdr-transceiver 1 &
[1] 1527
root@red-pitaya:~# -bash: ./sdr-transceiver: Permission denied

I am running as root, so what permissions are needed?
Oops, completely forgot about the executable permissions when writing the instructions.

You can set the executable permissions with the following command:

chmod +x sdr-transceiver

tony1tf

Post by tony1tf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks Pavel - should have thought of that myself!
It is now running.
Now I need to try and get sdr# working with its external dll - last time I tried that I had difficulty, since Youssef may be changing his rules.

cheers
Tony

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie