Newest ecosystem release - RP fails to start

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
adam.polak

Newest ecosystem release - RP fails to start

Post by adam.polak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to upgrade my SD card with the newest release of the ecosystem, but whatever I'm doing I keep failing to make it successful.

I don't know what may be wrong. I download the zip file without any problems and unzip it, copy the file onto SD card (8GB), but when I put it in RP and plug it in, within few seconds of initialization RP starts blinking with red LED (LED 9) and is not responsive. (More precisely it starts with green LED-P, then after a second blue LED-D and yellow LED-8 (on very low intensity) are also ON, and then after few blinks of higher intensity light on LED-8 the red LED-9 starts and keeps blinking). The RP is not responsive anyway.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong - I'm using standard methods to copy the image - I tried several times - both with dd on Linux and Win32DiskImager under Win8. I tired also image RC15 from 12-Oct, but it ends up with the same result. After that I tried old release 0.92 and this can be copied without problems and RP runs immediately. This suggests that there is nothing wrong with the RP nor with card or image copying method. Right now I'm completely puzzled....

Did anybody encounter similar problem? Do you have any way to work around it?
Adam

pavel

Re: Newest ecosystem release - RP fails to start

Post by pavel » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm

adam.polak wrote:within few seconds of initialization RP starts blinking with red LED (LED 9) and is not responsive.
From what I've seen in the Red Pitaya GitHub repository, I'd say that the red LED is connected to the Linux heartbeat output. Here are the patches for devicetree that are supposedly used for the latest SD card image:
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... tree.patch

So, blinking red LED indicates that Linux is running.

Do you see anything on the serial/USB console?

adam.polak

Post by adam.polak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi Pavel!

Thank you for very quick reaction!
Unfortunately I cannot get to the redpitaya console connection - Linux finds out the USB without any problems, but when it finally goes to run minicom , it starts the minicom, but it does not go to redpitaya> prompt. Don't know how else to check it :(

One more thing I noticed (still while placing SD card in the computer's reader) is that the folder /opt/redpitaya/ on SD card is empty - I expect there should be some more things there(?) I don't know how exactly how the whole structure on the card should look like, but I'm wondering if (and how) I can loose some data from the image during copying it onto a card.... I'm completely confused

..any other suggestions?..

Bulova

Post by Bulova » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello Adam,

did you also generate the file wpa_supplicant.conf to the card? Furthermore, is the root content something like it is on the attached picture? My version is 94 RC14, though, but the difference should nnot be very big. My RP works well with this OS. By the way what is the size of your card? Maybe this could be a problem too, I am not sure -- but some hardware is not capable to manage a bigger address size than it is used for 8 GB -- my card has a size of 8 GB.

That's all from my side for the moment

Dieter

Bulova

Post by Bulova » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Sorry, this time with attachment.
Contents_RP.PNG
Dieter

adam.polak

Post by adam.polak » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi,

To be honest I don’t know how to generate this wpa_supplicant.conf for SD card – I tried to google it, but I was still confused – so no – up till now I didn’t generate it. But I also keep thinking – this wpa is responsible for networks, and my problems seems to start even earlier – if I do not connect network, just power supply it already goes into this heartbeat mode, and then if it’s LAN or USB, I seem to have no access to RP. So the only way to see anything is to take SC card back to computer.

I cannot see the attachment with content of your RP Bulova, but please see these 3 screenshots which demonstrate both 3.5GB and 124MB volumes created after copying the card image on my side. I don’t know, maybe it’s what should be, but surprising is the amount of folders that are simply empty – see 0 files on the screenshot. Also the modification date of ‘opt’ folder (1 Jan 1970) and the fact that it contains only empty (!) folder ‘redpitaya’ is also really curious.. 124MB volume looks quite normal though…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwi71wp5s690a ... n.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47ajh9kias56c ... t.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmav1ur6bblo8 ... e.png?dl=0

fyi - I use 8GB SD card

I tried different versions of 0.94 edition – RC16, RC15, RC14 – all behave the same. I checked also the RC12 one and it is acting the same as all the others, however I had it running when it was released a month ago – so exactly the same hardware and software that was working before, now refuse to run.. :( :( :( ...and still 0.92 and 0.93 editions can run normally, also the one created by Pavel with Debian8.0..

Adam

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Adam,

I've just noticed a new version of the SD card image:
http://downloads.redpitaya.com/download ... 15.img.zip

Looks like the Wi-Fi access point configuration is fixed in this version.

Could you give it a try?

Cheers,

Pavel

adam.polak

Post by adam.polak » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi Pavel!

Thanks for pointing this out!! I have really no idea what was the problem before, but with this version connectivity for my board is back!!! finally some progress :) Thank you!

However, world will never be perfect I think - when I tried to compile first example it ends up with an error saying

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrp
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status  
this was with the 'make' recipe downloaded from github.
When I try with the command line you indicated before it cannot find /opt/redpitaya/lib

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find rpath: No such file or directory 
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find/opt/redpitaya/lib: file format not recognized 
most probably again I'm doing something wrong... i checked - the path is where it is expected, gcc command looks also correct (copy of yours to be honest) and I cannot see the reason why gcc fails :(

adam.polak

Post by adam.polak » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Ok, I have some progress on compilation problem.

when I try to compile example directly from '/opt/' folder with command

gcc -I/opt/redpitaya/include -L/opt/redpitaya/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/redpitaya/lib -lrp -lm -o blink blink.c

I still get error

and this I don't understand - all paths seems to be right

but when i try to use the Makefile from Examples/C downloaded from github repository I had to modify this make file to take libraries from 'opt/redpitaya/lib' because it originally directs it to '/api/ lib' (in the RedPitaya folder from github), but there is no such a folder there. with the libraries pointed to opt it compiles.. finally progress :) :)

..although I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong in the first case. :? i don't like the shared libraries solution made with the makefile because I don't know how to run it from matlab through plink :( (for sure there is a way but whatever I try doesn't work). If I could have compilation with rpath then shared libraries would not be needed ( I guess) - but I don't know why first way of compilation fails and don't know how to modify Makefile to avoid shared libraries.. any suggestions??
(mhmm.. I should probably close this post because my problems are drifting far away from the subject....)

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:45 pm

adam.polak wrote: when I try to compile example directly from '/opt/' folder with command

gcc -I/opt/redpitaya/include -L/opt/redpitaya/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/redpitaya/lib -lrp -lm -o blink blink.c

I still get error

I've just tried this command with the latest SD card image and could not reproduce your problem. I've copied it directly from your comment, pasted it to the Red Pitaya command line and it worked without any error message.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie