Connect red pitaya to my computer with ethernet

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
MBA

Connect red pitaya to my computer with ethernet

Post by MBA » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:03 pm

is there any way to connect red pitaya to my computer directly with an ethernet wire?

I mean, not connect redpitaya to my local network by ethernet, but connect it to my computer.

Thanks

Nils Roos

Re: Connect red pitaya to my computer with ethernet

Post by Nils Roos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:17 pm

Yes, you can connect the two directly together with a LAN cable. If your computer can act as a dhcp server on that network, the Red Pitaya will get its network address from your computer. If not, both sides should be assigned static ip addresses in the same subnet, see here for how to do that on the Red Pitaya.

bobltx

Post by bobltx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:34 am

Nils Roos wrote:Yes, you can connect the two directly together with a LAN cable. If your computer can act as a dhcp server on that network, the Red Pitaya will get its network address from your computer. If not, both sides should be assigned static ip addresses in the same subnet, see here for how to do that on the Red Pitaya.
Would that need to be a "crossover" cable Nils?

Bob

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:50 am

To my knowledge, all network equipment from the past few years (including the Red Pitaya) have an auto-sensing feature that makes the use of crossover cables unneccessary.

luigiraffaele124

Post by luigiraffaele124 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Nils Roos wrote:Yes, you can connect the two directly together with a LAN cable. If your computer can act as a dhcp server on that network, the Red Pitaya will get its network address from your computer. If not, both sides should be assigned static ip addresses in the same subnet, see here for how to do that on the Red Pitaya.
I have connected my Red Pitaya to my Notebook wit cross cable, and I have setted the IP adress and Mask of my notebook as you stated. But the system doesn't work. I have a doubt regarding the setting of the notebook about dhcp (I have not setted static IP on Red Pitaya). How can I verify the DHCP active status of the notebook?
If I connect the RP to my router WIFI and, then, the notebook to a router via wifi, the system works, so the problem is only in direct link RP-notebook via ethernet cable.
Many Thank's in advance

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Your notebook will only act as a dhcp server if you explicitly configured it to do so.

It will probably be easier to set a static address on both your notebook and the Red Pitaya.
How can I verify the DHCP active status of the notebook?
That depends on what OS is running on your notebook. Use your preferred search engine to find out more.
If I connect the RP to my router WIFI and, then, the notebook to a router via wifi, the system works, so the problem is only in direct link RP-notebook via ethernet cable.
In this situation, your router is the dhcp server and both the Red Pitaya and your notebook receive their addresses from the router.

luigiraffaele124

Post by luigiraffaele124 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank's for your prompt replay Nils.
The content of my directory "etc/network" is:

if-down.d/
if-post-down.d/
if-pre-up.d/
if-up.d/

So I can't find the file eth0 as indicated in the procedure you have linked, in order to change IP to static in RP.
I think it would be very useful if RP team did a step by step procedure to show to a Linux novice,as me, the exact procedure to set static IP (eg partition selection and so on).

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Yeah, with 0.96 the place to manually edit the network configuration has changed (again).

See here how to do it now.

luigiraffaele124

Post by luigiraffaele124 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:43 am

Thank's

in the link it says "add". But I have to add, as follow:

----------------------------------------
[Match]Name=eth0

[Network]
LinkLocalAdressing=yes
DHCP=yes
IPForward=yes
IPMasquerade=yes

Address=192.168.0.15/24
Gateway=192.168.0.1
DNS=8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
-------------------------------------------

or I have to substitute as follow:

--------------------------------------
[Match]Name=eth0

[Network]
Address=192.168.0.15/24
Gateway=192.168.0.1
DNS=8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
---------------------------------------

I think the second. And, in this case, how do I set my notebook network card?
Thank's for the time you are spending

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:27 am

You are right, you should substitue. And if you use the settings you posted, your notebook should have the address 192.168.0.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) on the wired connection.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie