Is a fan necessary?

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
hmaarrfk

Is a fan necessary?

Post by hmaarrfk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:39 am

In a lab setting (well ventilated, temperature always set to 21C),
is a fan for the RedPitaya necessary?

Will I need a fan if I start to increase my use of the FPGA?

I see many cases with fans on them so I makes me wonder.

Thanks for your input.

rok

Re: Is a fan necessary?

Post by rok » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:44 am

In general as long as you have any means to drain heat effectively from the region where it is generated you do not need any fan. I would not want to go deeper into the thermo- and fluid- dynamics, but in most cases convection serves the need - for this reason placing Red Pitaya vertically instead of horizontally, allowing for free upward draft of lighter heated air, may be considered.
I also said effectively - on purpose. It is the balance of temperatures and the draft. The higher the temperature, the more the surrounding air heats up, the stronger the vertical draft. Unfortunately the relation is not linear and besides the draft depends on the difference of temperatures between the environment and the heated air. Anyhow you mentioned well ventilated lab environment, where in general one should be fine with convection alone even with higher workload on FPGA.
Besides, there are precaution measures installed on Red Pitaya.
I hope the answer helps. So, let it work!
Best, Rok

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie