RF Output - Gibbs phenomenon ?

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
pmrp

RF Output - Gibbs phenomenon ?

Post by pmrp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 am

Hello Red Pitaya community !

I am just beginning to play with this wonderful tool (RP 125-14), mostly with basic RF signal generation & acquisition.

My project involve sending pulse-echo signals for ultrasound NDT applications. However, while playing with the oscilloscope app to generate 1us pulses (using 1kHz PWM with 0.1% duty cycle), I noticed a very high amplitude oscillations with a central frequency around 20MHz (see the screenshot below).

The setup is very simple: the OUT1 is directly plugged to the IN1 via a BNC cable & adaptors. All other inputs/ouputs are isolated with 50ohm terminators. Swapping between inputs and outputs does not change anything in the result.

Is it the usual behavior ? I would not expect the Gibbs phenomenon to be that strong, given the bandwidth of the RP's outputs. Would that come from the impedance of the BNC cable or something else ?

Thank you by advance !

kasaudio

Re: RF Output - Gibbs phenomenon ?

Post by kasaudio » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Hello.

Is out1 also 50 ohm terminated?

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:08 am

it is, and all the specs for all the boards are easily accessible, also for comparison reasons, here:
https://redpitaya.com/rtd-iframe/?ifram ... dware.html

Kaltobi44

Post by Kaltobi44 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:41 pm

Did you find a solution for that ?

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:34 am

I would suggest connecting a load via a T connector near the input. It can be that 50 Ohm is not needed, in some cases 1KOhm is enough.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie