Arduino I2C from Pavel's SDR Transceiver-hpsdr

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
chiefley

Arduino I2C from Pavel's SDR Transceiver-hpsdr

Post by chiefley » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Greetings,
I am running an Red Pitaya 122-16 board with Pavel's sdr-transceiver-hpsdr software on Alpine. Everything is working fine with PowerSDR I have my own front end hardware with rx bandpass and tx low pass filters for the HF ham bands, preamps, attenuators, and so forth. I would like to work up my own Arduino control board for them using the I2C interface from the RP used by G8NJJ for his control board.

I am very familiar with I2C, Arduino programming, and logic and RF hardware prototyping so I don't have any questions about that part of my project. My questions are all about configuring the RP via PowerSDR to make sure the Arduino I2C signals are coming out to address 40.

My questions are about configuration.

1) In PowerSDR, should I turn off all the HPSDR modules such as Alex, Penelope, and so forth.

2) And if I do, will I get the Arduino I2C signals by default? (I am assuming I wont see any signals until something is changed, such as the RX frequency, via PowerSDR).

3) Also, I assume I should be using the standard I2C pins on the RP external connectors?

My general comments are that the RP and Pavel Denim's software is just what I need to build a rather high end transceiver. Pavel's code is a really nice piece of work, running on stripped down Alpine on the FPGA and the ARM processor. I hope to learn a lot more about deveioping SDR dsp software of my own. I am a high speed CW contester, DXer, and ragchewer so I hope to end up with some high end transceiver features. This should be a really good long term retirement project to keep the brain cells working. Use it or lose it, as they say.

73 and TIA,
Dudley Chapman, WA1X

pavel

Re: Arduino I2C from Pavel's SDR Transceiver-hpsdr

Post by pavel » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:29 pm

chiefley wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:06 pm
1) In PowerSDR, should I turn off all the HPSDR modules such as Alex, Penelope, and so forth.
Not necessary. It is possible that Alex should be on to enable some of the signals.
chiefley wrote:
2) And if I do, will I get the Arduino I2C signals by default? (I am assuming I wont see any signals until something is changed, such as the RX frequency, via PowerSDR).
Only if the Arduino board with the correct I2C address is connected to the Red Pitaya board.
chiefley wrote:
3) Also, I assume I should be using the standard I2C pins on the RP external connectors?
Correct.

If you want more pins than available on the Arduino board, there is also a solution with a microcontroller and a chain of MIC5891. The information about the board by RZ3QS can be found at this link and the firmware for the microcontroller can be found at this link. This firmware can also run on the NUCLEO-G071RB board connected to a chain of shift-registers like MIC5891 or similar.

chiefley

Re: Arduino I2C from Pavel's SDR Transceiver-hpsdr

Post by chiefley » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 pm

Pavel,
Thanks very much for the quick reply.
If you want more pins than available on the Arduino board, ...
I will be using I2C from the arduino (actually a Teensy 3.2 I have lying around) to run all the logic so I should have enough I/O. My filter board already has MCP23017 I2C port expanders. I was halfway through building a Tayloe style DDC/DUC when I happened upon the new Red Pitaya 122-16 board.

Thanks for all your hard work. I have a good idea of the general functionality of your code, but It is going to take me a while to master the detail of what it is doing considering my rusty C and Unix experience from 25 years ago, as well as FPGA programming. I have a lot to catch up on before I attempt to change anything.

Regards and thank again,
Dudley Chapman, WA1X

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie