SATA-Connectors: Length Matched? LVDS?

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
std_logic

SATA-Connectors: Length Matched? LVDS?

Post by std_logic » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 pm

Hello!

I want to use the SATA connectors to receive data from a sensor with an LVDS clock lane and 2-3 LVDS data lanes.
This means one of the clock capable pair of one of the connectors would be used for the clock, and the other three pairs would be used for data lanes. At higher data rates it would be very helpfull if the trace length from FPGA pin to the SATA connector is the same for all 4 differential lanes.
Is that the case on the Redpitaya? Or are only the two differential lanes of each connector length matched?

And would LVDS be possible? Officially the Zynq only does "LVDS25" on its HR bank, and for that the bank needs to be powered from 2.5 V.
On the Redpitaya 14-125 the bank with the SATA connectors is powered from just 1.8 V. But according to this page it should still be possible: https://support.xilinx.com/s/article/43 ... uage=en_US
In my case the LVDS voltage is within the VIN requirement of the bottom chart, and the differential pairs that lead to the SATA connectors are terminated with 100 Ohm on the Redpitaya.

Does anyone have experience with receiving LVDS on those SATA connectors?

Thank you!

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: SATA-Connectors: Length Matched? LVDS?

Post by redpitaya » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:47 pm

Hello std_logic,

The SATA data line pairs on a connector are matched. The data lines on a single connector should be matched, but we need to open the Altium project and measure it to be sure.

You could try using the IDELAY2 module on the FPGA, which is used for matching the lines between each other.

You can try using the solution presented in the Xilinx article at your own risk.

std_logic

Post by std_logic » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 pm

Thank you for the reply, I will have a look at the Delay-module!

juretrn

Post by juretrn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am

Note that using IDELAYE2 is not that easy.
As an example, you can have look at

https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya- ... aya_top.sv

To use it, you need an IDELAYCTRL and IDELAYE2.
IDELAYCTRL requires a 200 MHz clock and an appropriate reset.
I suggest using it in fixed mode, since the delay between the lines does not change.
One delay tap is 78 ps, and up to 31 taps of delay are available.

std_logic

Post by std_logic » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:49 pm

I have now tried LVDS on the SATA-connectors and it works, even at speeds of 900 Mb/s per lane.

I set the iostandard of the pins to LVDS25. Deserialisation is done with the selectIO-Wizzard in the block design. I did not use any sort of delay, so the lanes of the two connectors must be matched close enough.

One difficulty is finding the matching SATA PCB-connectors, since I wanted my adapter board to be mounted directly on top of the RedPitaya without SATA-cables. I had to get some 90° adapters from Amazon and remove the connectors from these PCBs.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:29 pm

That is great news.

Good luck with the further development of the project!!!!

Once you finish it, we would be interested in including your project in the "Hall of Fame" on our website. So that your project/product also gets greater coverage on the internet.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie