Output Serializer

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
_undex

Output Serializer

Post by _undex » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi folks,

I'm trying to create a high frequency puls generator with the RP. By "high frequency" I mean more than 500 MHz. The more the better.
This puls signal should be customizable and should change over time, so I'm not looking for a PWM.

Anyway, I already made the DMA part working, the only thing I need now is a hardware serializer. I know I could just code one myself in VHDL/Verilog,
but this would decrease the performance in relation to an already integrated serializer.

I think I can't use the main two output ports of this board, as they're connected to a DAC, which I think one could not bypass. So the only option I have is to use a GPIO Pin or
to use an already existing highspeed port like SATA.

Does someone know a way to accomplish this task? The main question here is if there exists a hardware serializer on the Zynq-chip which i can utilise.

john k2ox

Re: Output Serializer

Post by john k2ox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:27 am

500 MHz? The DAC is clocked at 125 MHz with al low pass filter cutoff around 55 MHz.

Nils Roos

Re: Output Serializer

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi _undex,

I guess the OSERDESE2 logic is what you are looking for. Basically every IO pin is equipped with such a block; to use it, instantiate the macro of the same name (see for example red_pitaya_daisy_tx.v) and wire it to the appropriate exp_n/p_io. More info regarding the capabilities of the IO pins can be found here (pdf).

You will probably want to generate a seperate clock for this output. To do that, instantiate and configure the remaining free PLL and connect it to your serializer.
I am not sure if you will be able to reach 500MHz that way, the connections between the ZYNQ and the expansion connectors are not meant to carry HF - and neither is the connector itself well suited for that frequency range.

Maybe it is a better idea to repurpose the daisy chain interface. You'd still need to generate the desired clock via a new PLL, but the SERDES blocks are already in place and the external wiring is designed for HF use.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie