troubleshooting the etho interface - no links up !

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
ON7YI

troubleshooting the etho interface - no links up !

Post by ON7YI » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot a faulty 125-14 board (no Ethernet connectivity). The default address of the eth0 port is set to 192.168.0.102 which is on the same subnet than my router (192.168.0.1). I am quite confident that my network set-up is fine as my second redpitaya connects over the Ethernet port without any issues. Of course, I also verified the absence of conflicting IP addresses so there is no routing issue.

None of the two leds on the RJ45 Ethernet socket lit up when I connect an Ethernet cable. I was expecting that as a very minimum the right led on the RJ45 socket would lit up when a cable is connected (even without booting the board, so with no SD cards inserted in the card reader). But no, the right led stays off all the time (board booted or not booted). Of course after the board is booted I have no network connectivity!!!.

Fortunately, the wifi connectivity over the OTG USB2 ports works fine so with a WIFI dongle I was able to install "ethtool" and "mii-ttol" diagnostic tools with the objective to diagnose the eth0 port. To my big surprise ethtool says that the link on the eth0 port is up when the Ethernet cable is connected ! and down when the Ethernet cable is disconnected !!!!. How is this possible considering that none of the two R145 led sockets lit up ????? and considering that there is no network connectivity on the eth0 port ????

If the two leds on the Ethernet socket are off it means there is no link up and I just don't understand how ethtool can say the link is up ? ?? Is this a proof that the Lantiq PES7071 chip is faulty or that there is a problem with its power supply ?

Any touble-shooting advise welcome!

sdr-f0597c:/opt# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Link detected: yes
sdr-f0597c:/opt#

ON7YI

Re: troubleshooting the etho interface - no links up !

Post by ON7YI » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:43 am

ok, I checked everything, it does not come from the hardware,all signals, clocking, voltage etc are ok on the PEF7071. The propblems comes but from the specific software/hardware combination I am using. Nobody can help unfortunately

EricSue

Post by EricSue » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:40 am

Same problem here, not sure where it originated

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Please get in touch on our support email, if the boards are damaged and out of warranty we can offer a good deal to replace it.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie