SD card image with Debian 8.0, Red Pitaya web server and SDK

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: SD card image with Debian 8.0, Red Pitaya web server and

Post by pavel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:28 pm

I've just checked if TL-WN722N WiFi adapter based on the AR9172 chipset has the hardware timestamps functionality. Following the instructions that you linked to, I typed the following commands:

Code: Select all

airmon-ng start wlan0
tcpdump -ni mon0 -w /tmp/k1.pcap
tshark -nr /tmp/k1.pcap -T fields -e frame.number -e radiotap.mactime
and obtained non-empty results:

Code: Select all

1       49003417839
2       49003484984
3       49003618527
4       49003622646
5       49003661493
6       49003725030
7       49003860211
So, TL-WN722N also has the hardware timestamps functionality.

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:45 am

Pavel,

Thanks for checking that. What would be the most straightforward way, if any, to use this timestamping feature for syncronysing multiple RedPitay boards on the same WiFi network?

DJ6OA

Post by DJ6OA » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:16 pm

Pavel,

I am using your SD CARD IMAGE with Debian, Verion of June 21, 2016 for operating Quisl-4.1.1 with excellent results. and look for possibilities to control the pins of the E1 connector under Python since i am using all my individual SDR transceivers together with a BCD controlled bandpass filter/PA unit .

So far, I tested the SCPI server only with some success under the latest stable RedPitaya OS of July 2016 by downloading both the sdr_transceiver_hpsdr and the SCPI server from the Bazar, but ending up with Quisk displaying a fence of signals on both sides of the signal fed into INPUT 1.

With all other OS versions inclusive your Debian version which is preferred by me, trying to start the SCPI server (even after stopping nginx) ends up with a total crash requiring a power down and re-start of the RedPitaya.

Do you know how to start the SCPI server under DEBIAN or to address the pins of the E1 connector under Python ?

On the Internet, I found a lot of conflicting proposals how to address the pins of the E1 connector with Python, but none of them was operable (obviously for elder versions of the RedPitaya).

Any hint or example would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Rainer, DJ6OA

pavel

Post by pavel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 pm

SCPI server won't work together with my SDR applications. SCPI server requires a completely different FPGA configuration.

To output a BCD code, I'd suggest to modify sdr-transceiver-hpsdr.c:

https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... er-hpsdr.c

The gpio_out variable controls the DIO*_P pins. DIO0_P and DIO1_P are used for a RX/TX switch and a pre-amplifier/attenuator control. DIO2_P - DIO7_P could be used to output the BCD codes. DIO0_P and DIO1_P can be also redefined.

The alex_write function in sdr-transceiver-hpsdr.c can automatically control the filters when the RX and TX frequencies change. You can modify the alex_write function to output the BCD codes when the RX and TX frequencies change. This way, no modification is needed in QUISK.

DJ6OA

Post by DJ6OA » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:39 am

Pavel,

Thank you very much for your quick response which saves me a lot of misdirected efforts..

I will give up my ideas with SCPI and study the sdr-transceiver-hpsdr.c in detail to find out the required modifications and possibly the modifications of .quisk_config.py and /or quisk-hardware .py to direct it to "alex" and "manual" .

Will keep you informed about my problems and results.

Thanks and best regards.

Rainer DJ6OA

Best regards,

Rainer, DJ6OA

fbalakirev

Re: SD card image with Debian 8.0, Red Pitaya web server and SDK

Post by fbalakirev » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi Pavel,

I've been following red-pitaya-notes for quite some time. I'm trying to adapt to your Vitis 2019.2/debian 9.11 update and have a few questions. My own needs have been pretty limited - I'd like to start a small TCP server program and download a bit file to PL at boot time. I used to just edit /etc/rc.local, as well as default IP address if I use more than one pitaya in parallel:

-should I stick with your Debian build or use Alpine instead? I do need to shrink Linux RAM to ~120MB to leave a substantial data buffer.

-it seems like /etc/rc.local startup script is depreciated. Where would you recommend to place the above startup commands?

-Is it difficult to switch to zero-configuration networking and how would you suggest to implement it within your ecosystem?

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:51 pm

I'm afraid that my SD card image based on Alpine Linux most probably won't work with 120MB of RAM. It requires more RAM for its root RAM disk.

I use /etc/rc.local on Ubuntu 18.04 without any problem, I don't see why it won't work on Debian 9. If the file doesn't exist, just create it and make it executable.

I don't think the zero-configuration networking is an appropriate technology for a data acquisition system. Personally, I prefer to assign meaningful IP addresses and host names to my computers. So why not just properly configure your local DNS and DHCP servers?

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Pavel,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try adding rc.local

As far as network configuration, we've encountered a variety of restrictive network and computer policies, as well as varying degrees of computer literacy among the user base. I wonder if zero-config could produce more plug-and-play friendly option for some.

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:03 pm

I think that installing avahi-daemon and adding the following configuration files should be enough to enable mDNS/DNS-SD:

https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... i/services
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... ac.service

The avahi-daemon and hostname-mac should be probably enabled.

All the installation commands can be found in the following script:

https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... network.sh

fbalakirev

Post by fbalakirev » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks Pavel, it seems to work more or less.

I notice that one of my PL project builds that was compiling fine in Vivado 2018.1 comes up with error in Vivado 2019.2 - it runs out available BRAM at implementation stage - 2018.1 uses 59 out of 60 available BRAM tiles, while 2019.2 now wants 66 for the exact same FIFO cell design. Have you noticed any increase in BRAM usage in 2019.2 by any chance?

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie