Can a GPS module be used to update the pitaya's internal clock?

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
earlforeal

Can a GPS module be used to update the pitaya's internal clock?

Post by earlforeal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Hello all,

I need to record and store data with a timestamp with no internet connection. I currently have a couple of these discontinued Sparkfun GPS modules, which are 3.3V. Would it be possible to use a GPS module like this as the pitayas clock?

The project I'm doing requires the automatic execution of data aquisition as soon as powered on. If power is lost, and regained, the process starts over. However, I need a clock to keep time, even when power is lost.

Thank you for your time

pavel

Re: Can a GPS module be used to update the pitaya's internal clock?

Post by pavel » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Yes, it's possible. I have a GPS receiver with a PPS output and I am using the gpsd and chrony services for time synchronization. Here are links to my configuration files:
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... onf.d/gpsd
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... hrony.conf

earlforeal

Post by earlforeal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Thank you very much, Pavel! I'll have a look and see.

earlforeal

Post by earlforeal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Pavel,

I just found this forum post where a user was able to use an ISL 12022 RTC via the pitaya's i2c.

viewtopic.php?t=1123

Would this be an easier option than using a GPS module? I guess it's worth mentioning I am a novice when it comes to raspberry pi hardware/coding.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie