Trigger from Arb Waveform

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
mikepage

Re: Trigger from Arb Waveform

Post by mikepage » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Nils,

That's great - thanks. I'll wait for your update before I re-test my code. But meanwhile I'll try following the thread you gave to see if I can get Vivado to work under Windows. That could be a useful thing to be able to do in the future. I'll update from 2013.3 to 2015.4 first. If I get it to work, I'll post my findings.

Mike.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:16 am

Here it is. unzip in /opt/redpitaya in your running RP, etc.

mikepage

Post by mikepage » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi Nils,

I tried that but it didn't make any difference. I'm a bit worried by your "etc" in your post. I did "rw" and copied the unzipped files into /opt/redpitaya, then did "ro" and rebooted. I checked the dates of the files with ls -l and they have been updated from Oct 31 to Jan 13, so they look right.

Is there something else you meant me to do?

Cheers,
Mike.

mikepage

Post by mikepage » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Oops - silly me. I forgot to change my code to use your new function...

So now I added a call rp_GenTriggerEventCondition(RP_GEN_TRIG_EVT_B_START) in my code, but when I ran it I got a symbol lookup error, so I guess I needed to install the new librp.so (doesn't it get automatically copied from /opt/redpitaya?). So I copied it from there to /lib and that error went away, but I still don't get the behaviour I want. So I'm guessing now that the new FPGA bit image needs to get put somewhere?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:52 am

There is an easy test whether the right logic is loaded, set a value from 1 to 15 ("monitor 0x40200044 1") and read it back ("monitor 0x40200044"). If you read 0 it's not the right bitstream.
It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted my test results and the logic is not in fact doing what it should. I'll take a closer look.

mikepage

Post by mikepage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Nils,

The monitor reads back 0, so I guess the FPGA bit stream is not loaded. Looking at the Wiki, it says I need to use promgen to convert the bitstream and then stream it to /dev/xdevcfg. Is that right? I'm a bit suspicious because the instructions on the Wiki are often a bit out of date.

[To close off a previous topic in this thread, I did try to get Vivado 2015.4 working under Windows, but the Web version won't work on 32-bit and the full version (that takes 5 hours to download even on my high-speed connection) doesn't install in Windows at all. The Lab Edition will install properly, but it doesn't support the same syntax, so the tcl scripts don't work. My overall conclusion is that Vivado doesn't work with Windows...]

If I do need to convert the bitstream, I think I may be able to use promgen from within the Windows version of Vivado Lab Edition (but I'm not sure). Any tips would be appreciated. I really don't want to reprogram the FPGA with the wrong image and then not be able to restore it again.

Thanks,
Mike.

mikepage

Post by mikepage » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 am

Hi again Nils,

Just wondering what is happening about this issue. I did try the updated ecosystem you sent by PM, but it still didn't trigger. Am I waiting for a further update, or are you waiting for me to do some tests?

Mike.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi Mike,

I found that the modified logic is triggering only twice instead of each time the buffer wraps. I am currently looking into it.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Alright, there was a small problem with the logic, but it is now fixed, and the trigger can be set to happen at each and every wrap of the waveform buffer (already verified by OP).

The branch dev_dac_trigger has been updated and a compiled ecosystem is available here.

mikepage

Post by mikepage » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Just to confirm I have installed the new ecosystem and my application now works properly.

Thanks again Nils!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie