FPGA incremental build

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
hmaarrfk

FPGA incremental build

Post by hmaarrfk » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a project that involves adding additional FPGA compatibility. My current process for building the fpga is to clean the FPGA directory, and to rebuild the 'boot.bin' file. This process takes about 8 minutes.

I'm considering trying to use some of the incremental build capabilities of Vivado to speed up this process. Unfortunately, I have no experience with them and wanted to avoid duplicating any of your efforts. I was wondering if the RedPitaya team had looked into the possibility of using the features. In some sense, I'm hoping that you already have added this feature in some nightly makefile that you could push to the public.

Thanks for your help,

hmaarrfk

Re: FPGA incremental build

Post by hmaarrfk » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

For anybody who is interested:

So I got very tired of my 8.5 minute compile time and decided test incremental compilation myself.

I patched up the build process in a way that hopefully minimizes any large modification to the build process.

you can see them at my fork:

https://github.com/hmaarrfk/RedPitaya
It has a few other modifications that I think are quite useful if you are developping for the FPGA itself.

A costly operation in the build process is launching vivado itself. Checking for licenses takes 5-30 seconds on some computer....... Vivado gets launched 3 or 4 times because of the intricacies of how the system is compiled.

On my desktop i5 (16 gigs of ram), the compile time for the FPGA part when down from 5 minutes to 3.5 and on my AMD (can't get you processor specs right now) (12 gigs of ram), the compile time went down from 8.5 mins to 6.5 maybe even 4 (compile time isn't a hard rule).

emyemy

Post by emyemy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:30 am

Hey, can you tell me the steps you take to make the boot.bin? I am using the make file, and there seems to be so many problems coming out. I want to know how you make it through. Thanks!

hmaarrfk

Post by hmaarrfk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 am

Hi,

Are you able to compile the RedPitaya code directly from the original repository???
If not, take a look at my guide
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49

I made myself a new directory, and entered these commands

Code: Select all

git clone git@github.com:hmaarrfk/RedPitaya.git
source /opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.3/settings64.sh
make -C RedPitaya build/boot.bin
Output:

Code: Select all

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/test/RedPitaya/FPGA'
bootgen -image b.bif -w -o i build/boot.bin
make: Leaving directory `/home/mark/test/RedPitaya'
RedPitaya patches a few files in the build process, so a second pass through the build process sometimes triggers a warning, which I just press yes to.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie