Stuck Boot

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
axp

Stuck Boot

Post by axp » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi all,

i received my pitaya yesterday and iam having some trouble gettin it to work, at the command prompt it seems that the whole system gets stuck and i can't enter anything (serial console). Messages from kernel and command prompt snippet below.

Anyone got a clue what i did wrong (it does boot obviously ;) )

Code: Select all

mmcblk0: mmc0:0002 00000 1.90 GiB                                               
Starting rcS...                                                                 
++ Mounting filesystems                                                         
 mmcblk0:                                                                       
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /opt failed: No such file or directory        
++ Bringing up lo                                                               
ifup: can't open '/etc/network/interfaces': No such file or directory           
++ Bringing up eth0                                                             
++ Running all startup scripts                                                  
Starting logging: OK                                                            
Starting mdev...                                                                
Initializing random number generator... done.                                   
Starting system message bus: done                                               
Starting network...                                                             
Starting sshd: OK                                                               
Starting nginx ... cp: can't stat '/opt/sbin/nginx': No such file or directory  
/etc/init.d/S80nginx: line 23: /sbin/nginx: not found                           
done.                                                                           
Running user script from SD card ...                                            
/opt/etc/init.d/rcS not found.                                                  
cat: can't open '/etc/motd': No such file or directory                          
redpitaya> 

SamP20

Re: Stuck Boot

Post by SamP20 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 am

My first guess is the RedPitaya cannot read the micro SD card for some reason. I presume you have unzipped and uploaded the SD card image from http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... reparation? Also what SD card size are you using? you must use one that does not exceed 32GB.

axp

Post by axp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reply,

@SD-Card size: it is an 2GB micro card.
FS is VFAT
no partition.

i guess the problem is that it cant mount mmcblk0p1 (mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /opt failed: No such file or directory). i'll try now to make a partition.

so far,
axp

p.s.: sorry for the late response, been travelling a lot.

axp

Post by axp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Making a partition doesn't solve the issue, in fact rpta doesn't even find uboot image. any help would be apreciated.

so far,
axp

edgo

Post by edgo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Make sure the Micro SD card’s capacity does not exceed 32 GB, it is empty and formatted as a FAT32 file system.

axp

Post by axp » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 am

edgo wrote:Make sure the Micro SD card’s capacity does not exceed 32 GB, it is empty and formatted as a FAT32 file system.
It is in fact a 2GB microSD card, FS is made via mkfs.vfat -I (since i do not have any partitions).

edgo

Post by edgo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Were you able to get this to work? The important point I was trying to make was not regarding the size in GB, but you must use FAT32, not VFAT

axp

Post by axp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 am

edgo wrote:Were you able to get this to work? The important point I was trying to make was not regarding the size in GB, but you must use FAT32, not VFAT
Kind of yes and no, the main Problem with the "stuck" Problem was that i had enabled Hardware Flow control in minicom (from a previous Project), this is solved, but /opt doesn't get mounted because it complains about not finding mmcblk0p0 (if i try to Mount it by Hand [given the device /dev/mmcblk0, without Partition Argument) i can Mount it) is there a way to edit /etc/fstab permanently, since the fstab gets loaded into ramdisk, and changes are not persistent ;).

thanks in advance,
axp

ales.bardorfer

Post by ales.bardorfer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:56 am

Given the fact you are able to mount the /dev/mmcblk0 device, and not the /dev/mmcblk0p1 device, your partitioning scheme on the SD card is wrong.

What is your output of the 'fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0' command?

It should be something like:

redpitaya> fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3951 MB, 3951034368 bytes
122 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1020 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 7564 * 512 = 3872768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 1 1020 3857609 c FAT32

I suggest you make one 1st primary partition on your SD card and format it as FAT32 filesystem. I assume you now have no partitions on your SD card.

Regarding your question on the /etc/fstab permanent modification: It is possible to modify it but only by compiling a new OS ramdisk. The relevant source file that needs to be modified is:
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... /etc/fstab

You can build a new ramdisk by cloning https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya.git, modifying RedPitaya/OS/buildroot/overlay/etc/fstab and running 'make' in RedPitaya/OS/buildroot.

Martin K

Post by Martin K » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 am

Hi!

I had the same problem "mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /opt failed: No such file or directory"

It think it can also be a problem of your SD-Card. If the card is too slow, it might not be mounted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Dig ... ass_rating

I did exactly the same procedures http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... reparation on a SDHC4 and on a SDHC10-card. While the faster card (SDHC10) did work immediately, the error showed up for the slower card!

All the best, Martin

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie