Fan recommendation

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
Post Reply
fromage
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 am

Fan recommendation

Post by fromage » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi all,
I would like to put a fan in my casing (http://at.rs-online.com/web/p/oszillosk ... e/8194077/)
Image
Is there a recommendation for any fan that fits good in the case?
cheers
Florian

User avatar
Zimmerman
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:45 am

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Zimmerman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 pm

The distance betwen mounting holes on my acrilic housing is 33mm. Based on the power suply(5V USB) Red Pitaya has, i would go with this fan :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 60fa1:0000

fromage
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 am

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by fromage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Finally I bought this one:
http://at.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7588204/
Sunon MC30060V1-000U-A99, DC Axiallüfter Vapo-Lagerung, 8.33m/h, 5 V dc / 0.56W, 9500U/min, 28dB
It fits well, although it does not fell like it provies a big air stream.

Martin Cimerman
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Martin Cimerman » Thu May 14, 2015 7:42 am

There is a new printable case for Red Pitaya that fits the board well and also enables the fan mounting.
available here : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:820727

It would be awesome if you would try it and give me some feedback so we can make it better!

Martin Cime
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Martin Cime » Mon May 18, 2015 11:30 am

Martin Cimerman wrote:There is a new printable case for Red Pitaya that fits the board well and also enables the fan mounting.
available here : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:820727

It would be awesome if you would try it and give me some feedback so we can make it better!
Image

Karri Kaksonen
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 am

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Karri Kaksonen » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Another approach that keeps the Red Pitaya very cool is to use thermal pads and a large aluminium sheet. It runs colder than skin temperature 24/7. No fan needed.

Image

Here you see the square thermal pad between the Red Pitaya heat sink and the aluminium sheet.
Image

Of course you need to cut a hole in the PCB for the thermal pad.
Image

fbalakirev
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by fbalakirev » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Karri Kaksonen wrote:Another approach that keeps the Red Pitaya very cool is to use thermal pads and a large aluminium sheet.
Could you tell me a bit more thermal pads? I am thinking about building fanless aluminum enclosure, but I'm hesitant about ripping off the original heat sink.

Karri Kaksonen
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 am

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Karri Kaksonen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:55 am

Sorry for late reply. There is not much to tell. 3M has thermal pads that can easily be cut with a knife. I used the original metal heat sink and a 3M thermal pad. The pad has glue on the other side and it is soft. It transfers heat nicely from Red Pitaya to the aluminium sheet.

The next project is probably to make an adjustable analog amplifier and offset regulator to get the most dynamic range from the board.

fbalakirev
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by fbalakirev » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Karri Kaksonen wrote:Sorry for late reply. There is not much to tell. 3M has thermal pads that can easily be cut with a knife. I used the original metal heat sink and a 3M thermal pad. The pad has glue on the other side and it is soft. It transfers heat nicely from Red Pitaya to the aluminium sheet.

The next project is probably to make an adjustable analog amplifier and offset regulator to get the most dynamic range from the board.
Thanks for the reply! I mounted an RP board on about 16x8X0.3 cm cast aluminum box cover with a chunk of copper and a thin thermal pad. The cover seems to be pretty warm to touch, I'd guess ~45-50C and reported RP core temperature is in the 56-58 C range. Is that considered acceptable?

Tanupri
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:19 am
Contact:

Re: Fan recommendation

Post by Tanupri » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:22 am

Excellent thread... looking for same information....

Post Reply
jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests